Friday, 8 January 2016

How to Survive Winter and Other Tips

Winter is a time for fun i.e.: sledding, skating, skiing, or getting cozy by the fire. Winter is also flu-season. Now I've had my fair share of colds throughout the years, meaning I am a cold veteran. Today I thought I would share a few of my health  tips for winter.

1.)   This seems pretty obvious, but load up on vitamin C. This will not only boost your immune system, but will also improve your overall health and well being. Some of my favourite ways to incorporate fruits into my diet are; smoothies, oatmeal, salads, and as an afternoon snack. If you have fussy children or just don't have the time you can opt for vitamins, vitamins come in many forms and are perfect for on the go or children who will not eat fruit.

2.)   Try not to take cold medicine as much as it can have a lasting affect if you take it too often. Instead, try herbal remedies before you reach for the Buckley's daytime. I have actually found herbal remedies work wonders for me. Oil of oregano is one of my favourite cold busters, when I feel a cold coming on, I take a few drops of this stuff and I am good to go. One thing that I should mention before you start chugging oil of oregano is that it has a very strong taste, I'm not going to lie  the flavour is true to it's name. Make sure to have a glass or water or juice to chase down the flavour.

3.)   Invest in a air purifier and/or humidifier. I have found that a humidifier is a must have for when I have a nasty chest cold. A humidifier adds moisture to the air. An air purifier takes dust and germs out of the air, this minimizes dust related allergies.

4.)   Accept that you have a cold. It is always good to try to make it into work or school while you have a cold, but you have to draw the line somewhere. When we push our bodies too much, we can become weaker, therefore prolonging your cold. Sometimes all your body needs is rest. While you may want to go to coffee with friends it may be safer to reschedule, you don't want to spread the germs. When we get the rest our body needs we will have a way better chance of getting better. And it sounds tempting but "rest" is not binge watching your favourite Netflix show(Grey's Anatomy is my addiction) all day, it is important to actually sleep and limit yourself to tv.

5.) Get some fresh air or exercise. Fresh air always helps me when I have a cough. It helps clear my head and chest. Now the exercise i'm talking about is not the crazy cross fit or swimming 3 miles. What i'm talking about is taking a brief walk or even doing some yoga. 



      Dealing With Low Iron Levels
One thing I struggle with is getting the iron my body needs. It is crucial for our that we get the right amount of iron. Iron deficiencies vary in severity, mine is not too serious but does sometimes leave my a little cold and lightheaded. My go to foods for when I am low on iron are ; pepperoni sticks, seafood(especially salmon), and red meats. Another option is an iron supplement, though I have never actually tried this method.

      Thank you for reading my blog and I hope these tips make winter a little bit more bearable.


No comments:

Post a Comment